Thursday, June 10, 2010

Ever wonder what the numbers on your produce are?

Ever wonder what the numbers on your produce are?


They are PLU Codes – or “price look-up” codes. They tell the check-out person what your produce (or nuts or herbs) are and how much they are – it also tells you whether or not its organic, conventionally grown or genetically modified (Just say no to GMO!)

Look on the little sticker – all produce will have a 4 digit number. If there is a 9 in front of that number it means it is organic. If there is an 8 in front (I’ve never seen one in my area) it means that it has been genetically modified. If it only has the 4 digit number and it begins with a 3 or 4, it means that it has been conventionally grown. Recently I saw some small red delicious apples with the PLU code 6257. There was another bin of small apples with another 4 digit number starting with a 6. The PLU website doesn’t have that number listed when I did a search. It must be new and I wonder if it has something to do with the fact that both kinds of apples were smaller than normal. I’ll update this as I find out (if you know, let me know!)

plu6286

I’ve seen bins of apples at the market that say they are organic but the bin is full of apples with a 4 digit code starting with a 4. Probably just put in the wrong bin, but many don’t know to look at the PLU code. The codes aren’t always on a little decal – sometimes they are on large tags.

Buy organic when you can for better vitamin and mineral content….and flavor. I loved the organic Honey Crisp apple in the photo - it was crispy, very juicy and tasted amazing!

(Pink Lady apples used to be my favorite until I tasted organic Honey Crisps when I attended the 2 week raw program at Creative Health Institute. That was after 3 days of nothing but wheat grass juice, rejuvelac and energy soup – grated apples and cinnamon for breakfast was orgasmic.)

No comments:

Post a Comment