Wednesday, May 27, 2009

CANOLA OIL - RAPE IN A DIFFERENT GUISE

MySpace.com: Read Bulletin:

"SOMETHING WORTH READING-------
CANOLA OIL - RAPE IN A DIFFERENT GUISE

Before you buy your next bottle of cooking oil...
I think it's important that as many people as possible KNOW about the origins of this product. Then, if you choose to buy it, at least you're doing so with your eyes open.

Dear Editors

Recently I bought a cooking oil that's new to our supermarkets, Canola Oil. I tried it because the label assured me it was lowest in 'bad' fats.

However, when I had used half the bottle, I concluded that the label told me surprisingly little else and I started to wonder: where does canola oil come from? Olive oil comes from olives, peanut oil from peanuts, sunflower oil from sunflowers; but what is a canola? There was nothing on the label to enlighten me, which I thought odd. So, I did some investigating on the Internet. There are plenty of official Canola sites lauding this new 'wonder' oil with all its low-fat health benefits. It takes a little longer to find sites that tell the less palatable details.

Here are just a few facts everyone should know before buying anything containing canola. Canola is not the name of a natural plant but a made-up word, from the words 'Canada' and 'oil'. Canola is a genetically engineered plant developed in Canada from the Rapeseed Plant, which is part of the mustard family of plants. According to AgriAlternative s, The Online Innovation, and Technology Magazine for Farmers, 'By nature, these rapeseed oils, which have long been used to produce oils for industrial purposes, are... toxic to humans and other animals'. (This, by the way, is one of the websites singing the praises of the new canola industry.)"

No comments:

Post a Comment